Sunday, April 1, 2007

Pink Moon. April 2, 2007

PINK MOON
April 2 1:15 pm EST
Flowers

Native Americans gave names to each Full Moon. They kept tract of time, the months and the seasons by observing the moon and giving them names. The Pink Moon is named by the Algonguin groups of northern and eastern section of the US after the herb moss pink, or wild ground phlox, which is one of the earliest widespread flowers of the spring. Names by other tribes for this month's celestial body include the Full Sprouting Grass Moon, the Egg Moon, and among coastal tribes the Full Fish Moon, because this was the time that the shad swam upstream to spawn. The Dakota Suix called this moon the moon when geese return in scattered formation.

Flowers

Flowers
The Native American Moon Calender dictated planting seasons, when to sow and when to harvest. They knew what prey was available to hunt or fish to catch by understanding the cycle of the moon. Because it takes the moon approximately orbit the moon in 28 days, thee are many other traditions and celebration from cultures worldwide. The Chinese, Hindu, Thai, and Islamic moon calenders are all very intriguing and beautiful. Of course, we in the west are most familiar with the Gregorian Calender.




Wild Ground Flox

The moment a moon is actually full is when the sun, earth and the moon are in perfect alighnment, and you see the moon reflecting the light of the sun, forming a beautiful circle of light. A full moon is always wonderful to see! This painting by artist Lori Barker is a beautiful rendition of the atmospheric colour I percieve on a full moonlit evening.


"Moonbeams Toward Heaven"

The angel is reaching toward the light of the moon,
reaching for the energy and for clear answers.


The gorgeous bronze statue below is a prominent fixture in front of the Museum Of Fine Art in Boston. Called Appeal to the Great Spirit, it was designed in 1909 by Cyrus E Dallin.


The Great Spirit is in all things,
he is in the air we breathe.
The Great Spirit is our Father,
but the Earth is our Mother.
She nourishes us,
that which we put into the ground she returns to us....

-Big Thunder(Bedagi)(Wabanaki Algonquin)



Interesting sights about the moon;

MOON FEVER


WIKIPEDIA

GOOGLE LUNAR LANDING SITES

We Like The Moon!





Unfortunately, because of rain and dark clouds, I had no view of the Pink Moon this evening. The moon is currently 100% full, and will start waning this week, and we won't see it as a full moon until May 2, The Full Flower Moon. Tulips






















3 comments:

MeikkiBeibi said...

Hey it's NiinaC from AC, I loved your blog mind if I short cut it to my blog under = Blogs and Websites of Interest. :)

On the other note, I have always loved the moon ever since I was a tiny kid. I use to sit by the taple that had a great view to the winter moon... I was three to five when I did that, my mom use to love that and often reminds me of that.
To think of it I probably was a starer as a kid as at age two I watched 2hours of Nutcracker on TV.

DoriKelly said...

Hi Nina, Thank you! I looked at your blog and it's beautiful! I love your name! :) Are you born under the sign of Cancer?

I will short cut to yours as well as it looks intriguing to investigate!

DK

MeikkiBeibi said...

I'm actually a Taurus, I didn't want my original birthday in my Profile, but AC profile has the real one.

Thanks... it's always strange to think a name you hear eveyday isn't ordinary. ;)