Sunday, November 26, 2006

Sailing..the Rolf Tour to the Isle of Shoals

October 9, 2005 The Rolf Tour to Isle of Shoals! My stomach is still feeling the effects of this one, let me tell you! I rolfed all over the Atlantic as it rocked and rolled the Bella Donna for the 8 hours it took from Newburyport to the Isle of Shoals and back. Oh well, give me one sailor who has not felt the effects of sea sickness and I'll give you $1,000.00!!
Vomit 2
The day started of really well. Met Ed on the dock in downtown Newburyport. He took the boat from the mooring to the dock, which, believe me, is the more dignified and preferred method of getting onto a sailboat. I hate hate hate getting on the boat from the dingy! My legs are too short and it's hard to hoist my self up without severely hurting my knees. It doesn't look very pretty or attractive, either. So much for a dignified sport. huh? Perhaps I should take up golf or knitting at this point!!


Sailing


JC came running down the dock, and off we sailed for the day. The river was nice and smooth and we even saw a cutie- pie seal bobbing around gleefully at the mouth of the river. The harbor patrol guys said that there were sunfish sightings at the mouth, and whale sightings about 6 miles out.


From what I understand about whale watching is that they really don't come up when the water is choppy, plus if they did, it's hard to see them. I always look for blowhole spouts. I have not seen any whales this year, and now they are probably heading down to their vacation homes in the Bahamas.

Out at sea was really nice. I did leave the dock this morning feeling a little bit nauseous, but assumed that JC had sea sick meds the last time we sailed...but, she didn't :( Oh well, going to buy the extra large bottle of XXXX-tra strength pills the next time I take to the high seas! I sailed pretty good and feel more confident on the helm. I am starting to feel things naturally, and today sailing on a rougher sea was a real learning curve for me! It was exciting and intimidating at the same time. When the sails catch the wind at fast speeds, the boat naturally pitches over. It will not tip over because of center of gravity principles, but it sure feels like it could! It takes some time to get used to that when I am actually sailing the boat. When someone else is on the helm, the pitch does not bother me and it is a very exciting part of sailing! Next time I meet large swells and a strong wind, I will be more confident in handling the boat.




My sailing course went well. My weak points are charting as I do get confused when numbers are involved, so I must work through that as I did for drafting and become good at it. I would also like to become more knowledgeable on the GPS system as it really is an excellent device...cool too!



Ed, JC and I seem to have a good rapport with each other and that is excellent! We know how to joke around and feed off eachh other's sense of humour. They are witty and fun, so getting tossed overboard will not be a problem! Actually, Ed is a wonderful, confident captain who teaches with ease and care. he is very hands on and I felt learning to sail is best this way. Sailing, like horseback riding or playing the flute cannot be taught without getting physically into it! I'm glad to have had the chance to learn how to sail a real boat the real way this summer!! I can't wait till next summer....sans the rolfing !! Vomit 2
For more photos, please see Irish Rose link on bottom of main page!!





No comments: