Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Artist Trading Cards

As an artist, I like to try new mediums. This one is kind of mainstream, but it helps me to work with different and or mixed media. An illustrator by training, my art interest extends into water colour, pastels, graphite and coloured pencils. I also like to do photography. Artist Trading Cards (ATC) are mini works of art that are traded, not sold, to other artists. Based on the dimensions of original trading cards, 21/2 X 31/2, ATC's can be created with just about any thing your imagination allows. Some traders are sticklers about not having too many 3-D items on a design so that they can fit into the plastic trading card pockets. ATC's are also a way to socialize. I joined a local ATC group in which we meet monthly to create and/or trade. Since I am new at making them, I have been keeping them. I've just started to do "series" of 2 or 3 in which I can keep one then trade the others. The cards are never the same as each may have the same types of items that go into them, they may be arranged totally differently from each other. Each card is always an original peice of art! * PLEASE CLICK ON IMAGES TO ENLARGE! *

A friend one told me that my photo (the one on my profile) looked like a Pre Raphaelite painting. Since I am a huge fan of their style, I took it as a huge compliment! This card ( above) is a bit of a self portrait, and also the very 1st ATC I ever made, so I am extremely proud of it! This is definitely NFT !

I like to use torn bits of paper, like old music sheets, wrapping paper, stickers, paint, old stamps, black and white photos and some 3-d items like charms or letters. Many people like to use magazine images, but you have to really be careful about copy rights. There are plenty of non copy right images to download or buy so image resources are not hard to come by! I like to add personal items to my cards, such as stamps or photographs. I don't think I would trade any original card, but make similar or copies. I'm new at the whole "trading card" lifestyle so I'll have to see how it goes.

This is my actual ticket stub for the Boston Symphony Orchestra. I enjoyed putting this mini collage together. ( NFT)

These ATC's were made within the last couple of months. Detailed descriptions of these and other cards can be found on my Picassa Link below. Most were experimental to learn how to deal with the small space and different approaches in designing them. They are not very big in size, but big on impact.

A common theme I notice that I use in my designs are music sheets. I think they are really beautiful!

Many ATC artists tend to make a series of cards made out of the same items so that they all look similar. This is probably to have several to trade, or just to experience different layouts or methods. I made a series for a holiday swap. I will keep one and trade the others...the problem is...which one? So, for now, this is my new artistic adventure. I think of them as little creative workouts! They are easy to do and you can get instant gratification with the completion on one...or two...or more.....

All cards are 2 1/2" X 3 1/2" in real life. I really enjoy seeing them in the larger sizes online as the detail is fascinating to look at! I love this collage! I enjoyed using the B & W sticker with the torn paper. It was an experiment that turned out really nice!(NFT)


I loved composing this piece! The cat is actually a 3-D, but flat, sticker. It has a velvet texture and adorable sophisticated face. I felt it was a French cat ( Le Chat Noir came to mind) so pairing it with French things wasn't too hard. Oh La La!! This is one of my favorites! I may reproduce it for trade as I think it has a certain je ne sais quoi that I find very charming.

I like the idea of working with themes and concepts. Of course, my formal art and design education has trained me to work like that, but I find that in making some of the ATC's, much of it has come to be mainly because of impulse and intuition. I see ATC's as stretching exercises for creativity. You can set up anywhere, use anything, and VOILA, a mini piece of art is created ! I have found them to be profound and powerful. Of course, much of what I create usually comes from deep somewhere inside. Even though I will be inspired by someone else's work, I will always bring my own individuality to my work.

This one is also one of the first cards I ever made, actually it is the second, following the one above. Both are included in a series I call "Self Portrait" and certain elements, such as the DragonFly sticker contain pertinent information about me. The sticker and hope button was a gift from my friend Pam and the torn music is from my friend Marilyn making this card extra special. I also asked Marilyn to pick an adjective from a list to describe how she sees me at this point of my life, and she picked "growing." I hope I never stop growing and trying new things and experimenting with new ideas, so it is a good description. I love the simple composition of this card. Even tho there are only 4 actual elements,which goes against the Golden Mean, the negative space gives it balance and harmony. I think it works well. NFT because of the sentimental value.



































































































































































































































































































































































No comments: