Friday, April 20, 2007

Happy Earth Day !!


Flowers & Butterfly I'm a bit of an Naturalist. Earth Day should be everyday. We should always honour and protect our precious planet Earth. As a child, I felt very connected to the Earth, Sky and Sea. I liked to draw trees, planets, insects and animals. I was always a gardener. As a child I was fortunate to be able to discover nature closely. I could look at butterflies and ladybugs, be fascinated by a praying mantis or a spider. I loved birds. I loved waking up just as the sun was coming up and listening to the birdsong. Animals, plants, birds and fish were always a big love throughout my life. The mere thought of cruelty to any living being, including the upright animal effects me to the core. I don't even kill bugs. If a bee or a spider comes into my house, I take a dixie cup, capture it and put it outside.
Spider



Flowers I have always followed a nature based spirituality. I honour and treasure the Great Goddess, Gaia, the Mother of us all. Her four children, Spring, Summer, Winter and Fall have each held their special allure for me. I'm very fortunate that I live in a region where each season presents it's own individual, dramatic canvas; The early buds and fresh smell of earth in Spring; The song of peep frogs on a hot Summer night; The crisp palette of red, gold and yellow of Fall; The short, dark days of Winter, balanced by the magic of freshly fallen snow. Spring, the time of renewal, Summer, the time of growth and reaching out, Fall, a time, for many, for new beginnings ( think of going back to a new semester of school, for example), and Winter, the time for rest and introspection.

Flowers & Butterfly Writers, artists and musicians have captured thier feelings of nature, the Earth, and the Seasons in thier art. Henry David Thoreau, Born in Concord, Massachusetts in July 1817, wrote his most popular book, the very beautiful Walden Pond, with nature and simple living as it's focus. Through his observation of nature, he discovered spirituality, his critique of modern life and "to front only the essential facts of life."



Flowers Antonio Vivaldi composed four violin concertos in 1723, Le quattro stagioni, The Four Seasons. Each piece was accompanied by four sonnets intended to be read with each concerto. The music from La Primavera ( Spring), for example, resembles birds singing, and L'inverno (Winter) gives the impression of slipping and sliding on ice. I love to listen to the music and see the images Vivaldi wrote for it.


Tree


Flowers & Butterfly The Mother of Environmentalism, Rachel Carson, a Marine Biologist who write the landmark book, Silent Spring ( 1966), which is acclaimed to be the catharsis for the environmental movement. Since the mid 1940's, she saw the effects of the then new pesticide, DDT, on the environment and did research to present to the government on it's harmful effect on wildlife.

Flowers The Bald Eagle was declared endangered in 1967. DDT was causing thier eggs to be so thin that just they broke or just became unable to hatch. Because of Silent Spring, DDT was outlawed in the US in 1972. Lead and Mercury still pose a danger to these magnificent birds, but in 1992, the were declassified from endangered to threatened. I am so fortunate to live in a region where they are starting to thrive due to the efforts of rehabilitation efforts from the Massachusetts Audubon Society. I live near the Merrimac River and have the privilege to see these giant beauties often flying over head. So popular are they that there is a yearly
Merrimac River Eagle Festival in my town.






Flowers & Butterfly I am scared of the possible effects of pollution and global warming on our sacred Earth. I believe that nature and humans must find a balance for all of or survival. We must consider the effects of strip mining and deforestation on species of all kinds. It's horrible to lose anything special, big or small. Simple humane treatment of animals and other beings is for the betterment of humanity. Gandhi said that we can tell a lot about society by the way it treats it's animals. In my little world, I hope that my love, life and sensibilities can benefit humanity on some level. I can't change the whole world, but I can change the world in some small way with my example and deeds. I believe people are going to become more sensitive to our environment. Ms. Carson got DDT outlawed, we are recycling, Green Design is a big trend now, conserving energy is becoming normal. We have a ways to go, but by Gaia, we need to hold her close. Without her, we all die.


EARTH DAY & ENVIRONMENTAL LINKS;







Happy Earth Day


























No comments: