Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Christmas In Newburyport

I have not really started my holiday gift shopping yet, but decided to poke around a few shops in town last night to get a few ideas. The town looked pretty all decorated, with shoppers and the shops all done up, looking festive with twinkly lights and red bows on wreaths. I live in a town that Hollywood couldn't design any better as the perfect New England town. It looked like a movie set last night as I walked around the shops admiring all the windows, each an art work unto itself. All the shops were decorated beautifully, and the shop keepers were smiling, giving out samples of fudge or cookies. The tree in Market Square is beautiful and surrounded by shops nestled in gorgeous Federal brick buildings. Last weekend they had the tree lighting and Santa comes by Coast Guard boat ( it was established here), and then there were carolers and it was so petty. It's gorgeous when it snows here, too! On the weekends, no matter the weather, people are always flocking downtown to eat in the restaurants and to shop in the many quaint boutiques and antique shops that bound a plenty here! I do have a page about Newburyport that will be more factual about what it's all about. Some history and some photos. It's in draft now.

Moving to this town has done much for my mental health. The first year here I did think I made a mistake as I didn't want to leave Boston, the very center of my universe..hehe. I didn't really enjoy it here then. This past summer I made a point to take advantage of Newburyport. Many people come here for vacations and day trips, so instead of me traveling to Europe ( I wanted to go to Italy), I decided to go on "vacation" here!! There was the beach, the state park, sailing, bike riding on Plum Island, garden and house tours, antique shopping, just walking around the boadwalk along the river, listening to buskers, going to a classical concert in the park, drinking cosmos al fresco while watching the boats float by on the Merrimac River! There is something happening all the time, all year long that I always feel the positive energy of people having a great time coming into town. I wanted to live in a place that people were happy to come too and enjoy themselves! I wanted to be near the sea and the beach, the forest, the White Mountains of New Hampshire ( 1.5 hours drive), The beautiful Maine coast, and still be close to Boston. You can walk or ride a bike anywhere here at any time of day or night and feel safe. Most folks here are very nice and say "hello" when passing by, and many are staunchly proud and would not give up Newburyport for anything! Even I was getting a little possessive of it when I'd drive through town and see the tourists!! I started thinking..." Go home, Newburyport is mine, now.." haha! But to me, they are part of why this little city has such good energy for me, so I usually say it in jest.



Newburyport is home right now. I am content, if not in this house, but in this area for the time being. I really have no interest to be anywhere where else in the world right now, which is really a new thing for me! London, Paris, Stockholm, Dublin, Zurich, Florence, New York City....They will have to wait right now as I savor a little place on the globe that holds my loyalty and attention at the moment!!


For More Info and Photos about Newburyport


H A P P Y H O L I D A Y S !!






1 comment:

cooper76 said...

I was searching for pictures of Newburyport in the snow to do an oil painting from and I thought the picture on your page (of the street scene with the shoppers) was amazing! Was that a photo you took? Is there a way I could buy a print from you to do a painting from?