Saturday, March 17, 2007

Paddy's Day Blizzard

Snowstorm
HAPPY ST. PADDY'S DAY !!

(UPDATE March 18, '07 - Pictures of crystallized trees in sunlight added!! See bottom. )

We in New England have had a March Madness Nor'easter last night. It rained and this morning I looked out my bedroom window to see these gorgeous crystallized trees.

I love the ethereal feel of this tree covered with icicles.

The huge willow tree in my yard has been losing big branches due to the weight of the ice. The sound when they break and fall to the ground is very loud. I was surprised. I am watching a big bough that is right over to garden sheds in the yard of that yellow house next door, hoping it does not break and crush the sheds.

( see pics below)

This tree really looks stunning. If the sun were out and shining, the icicles would shine like diamonds! The photo does not do any justice to how dramatic the view is.


On March 21st is the Vernal Equinox! I can't wait to see crocus, daffodils and tulips come up. Spring trees and bushes flowering in the yellow, pinks and peaches of apple and cherry trees, and quince and forsythia bushes. Soon the boats will be in the water, warm spring days will turn to simmering summer nights with the sound of crickets and peep frogs. After the 21st, the days start becoming longer than the nights. The beach beckons, the sound of a sail snapping, a hoot owl in the night and moths bumping against the screen door. What a sweet dream after a very cold, but beautiful winter.


Looking right on my street. The
snow is wet and dense and melting rather rapidly so it's rather wet everywhere. I shoveled a lot so got a pretty good workout. A friend came by to help me out, but I managed to do a pretty good job. He finished removing the snow in front of my garage where the plow pushes it against due to my narrow driveway. The weather is mild, not bitter cold, so it was rather nice to be outside shovelling.


Looking left down my street. The street I live on hugs the beautiful Merrimac River. The other day I was going over Chain Bridge and slowed down to see if I could spot any Bald Eagles who are now a very special feature around here. Sure enough, on a tall, naked branch was an adult male! He was stunning! People are always on the bridge and on the banks of the river eagle watching. I saw two young males sitting near each other a few days ago. The Bald Eagle has been rehabilitated by the Audubon Society in recent years and now they are off the endangered list.

The view behind my house. I really enjoy this view so typical of a New England village. This is my view from my home office and my bathroom. In the summer, all the trees are full and you cannot see these houses at all. My yard is a beautiful, private, shady spot in the summer. The willow tree is beautiful so I hope it doesn't lose too many of it's branches.

The willow tree embellished in ice, creating stress on it because of the weight of the ice.


This branch is huge! The noise it made when it broke and fell to the ground was amazingly loud. Later that day, another branch broke and went over the fence into the yellow house's yard, but did no damage to the fence or the sheds. Also, when I just went out to check it, the air had dried up and all I could hear was all this crackling noises all around me. It was all the ice on the trees cracking as a wind gently rocked the branches. It was kind of eerie. If the wind kicks up during the night, the willow tree may be in danger. The good news is that the sky is clear and light on the western horizon, so hopefully the sun will be out tomorrow and melt the ice. If the trees still have ice on them with the sun out, I will try to get a picture as crystallized trees are amazingly surreal, but magical !!


Anyway, Happy St. Patrick's Day!!



NEW PICS!!

These were taken the following day, March 18, with the morning sun shining on them. Good thing I went out early as it id melting swiftly and the sky is now greying up. Below is looking North East, with my house in the foreground. The second pic is zoomed on some branches. I then took a walk around the neighboorhod to the river and the grasses and bullrushes were stunning, all incapsulated in shells of icecicles! The sun was glistening off the ice, making a magical landcape of glittering diamonds. I an grateful to be able to witness the beauty of nature. PS, The willow tree did well during the night. No more branches came down! :)

Freeze

Cold Breath


Cold Breath




1 comment:

Unknown said...

Snow Snow go away! It has been BEAUTIFUL here :)

/N